Monday, May 22, 2006

Cover Versions

I guess sooner or later I had to do a post on cover versions, everyone else has. There were hundreds of different covers posted last week on the Audiography Live Journal, and My Old Kentucky Blog had a posting on Friday that had 29 different versions of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart (including the original). That said, it would be a little mundane of me to simply post a few cover versions. So I'm going to make it fun. In the past, I've made tape and cd compilations of covers for friends where I don't include a proper song list, all I include is a list of the original artists, and a list of the covering artists, and they have to figure out who covered who. I've been thinking of a way that I could do this on the blog, but with the files having detailed information about the song attached, it wouldn't be very hard to figure out. So I deleted the info. I'm posting five songs, named A, B, C, D & E; I'll give a list of the five covering artists, and a list of the five original artists. Next week, I'll have the answers and another five songs to guess. You can submit your guesses in the comments or e-mail them here: andthroughthewireblog@yahoo.ca . This is for fun only, there are no prizes.

Songs:
A B C D E

Covering Artists:
Badly Drawn Boy
Bright Eyes

Feist

Ron Sexsmith

Tarkio


Original Artists:

The Boomtown Rats

Feist

Ron Sexsmith

Bruce Springsteen

Squeeze

2 Comments:

At 5:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grant,

How about a follow-up post about covers that are better than the original (or at least as good). Johnny Cash doing "Hurt" comes to mind (just as good as the original, I think) and Jimi Hendrix covering "All Along the Watchtower" (which even Dylan said was better than his version).

 
At 11:16 p.m., Blogger gnp29 said...

I've got a few ideas on posting cover versions, but I like that one, I'll see what I can come up with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home