Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cover Version Challenge 2

In the past, I've made tape and cd compilations of covers for friends where I don't include a proper song list, all I include is a list of the original artists, and a list of the covering artists, and they have to figure out who covered who. I've been thinking of a way that I could do this on the blog, but with the files having detailed information about the song attached, it wouldn't be very hard to figure out. So I deleted the info. I'm posting five songs, named A, B, C, D & E; I'll give a list of the five covering artists, and a list of the five original artists. I only received two responses to last week's challenge, and my friend Mike got all five right. Here are the answers and the songs reposted with the info intact:

A - Goodbye Girl by Tarkio, originally by Squeeze
B
- Secret Heart by Feist, originally by Ron Sexsmith
C - I Don't Like Mondays by Ron Sexsmith, originally by The Boomtown Rats
D - Thunder Road by Badly Drawn Boy, originally by Bruce Springsteen
E - Mushaboom by Bright Eyes, originally by Feist

Now here's this week's cover version challenge:
A - B - C - D - E


Covering Artists:

Tori Amos
Eliza Carthy

Thea Gilmore

Emm Gryner

Kathryn Williams


Original Artists:

The Clash

Death Cab For Cutie

Depeche Mode

Nirvana

Paul Weller


Next week, I'll have the answers and another five songs to guess. You can submit your guesses in the comments or e-mail them here: andthroughthewireblog@yahoo.ca . This is just for fun only, there are no prizes.

By the way, if you're looking to get your hands on more cover versions; head over to My Old Kentucky Blog. Dodge has expanded his collection of
Love Will Tear Us Apart covers; and added collections of covers of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, Elvis Presley's Suspicious Minds, Blue Oyster Cult's (Don't Fear) The Reaper, The Beach Boys' God Only Knows and others.

1 Comments:

At 8:05 p.m., Blogger Carol Harrison said...

Nice site. Linda sent me the link. One of the nicest covers of a Beatles' tune is Damon & Naomi (ex-Galaxy 500) doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on The Earth Is Blue. Sorry, but I cannot participate in your "guess the cover" game: old building = dial up. Blah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home