Sunday, April 16, 2006

Music Blogs

Sorry for the delay in posting, but life's been busy lately with weekend trips to Ottawa, job searching, and toddlers who don't want to nap anymore. There hasn't been much time for writing.

It was a few months before I started writing this blog that I discovered the world of music blogs. There are hundreds (thousands?) of them out there, and every one will link you to dozens more. You will find that these blogs are a little more advanced than mine, better graphics, more links, and more posts! They also have clever names, which prompted me to come up with something for my blog. Most of the blogs that I've found deal primarily in US indie rock, and many are maintained by college students or recent grads, which makes me the old man on the scene. Here are a few of my favourite blogs, and their recent posts of interest.

Good Weather For Air Strikes (aka m3) is one of the first blogs I found, and one I check regularly. Run by two guys in Washington DC, they post a wide range of indie music, and put together some pretty good compilations. They're currently going through their archives, and reposting some early compilations. Also check out b-sides from the new Franz Ferdinand single, and a wonderful acoustic recording of Sufjan Stevens' Chicago.

All Things Go is also from Washington, and has five contributors, who are friends of the above mentioned GWFAS guys. Same kind of thing as GWFAS, usually different music posted though. They have a new compilation posted; the All Things Go Sleep Mixtape. I haven't completely checked it out yet, but it looks like a good collection. They also have a few tracks posted from the new Flaming Lips album, At War With The Mystics.

An Aquarium Drunkard comes out of Los Angeles and always seems to have something rare and interesting. Among their ongoing series are The Live Upload Series, which has posted some rare live recordings from Ryan Adams, My Morning Jacket, and Steely Dan; and The Lost Album series which has posted unreleased recordings from Bob Dylan, Wilco, Ryan Adams, and Whiskeytown. Check out recent posts on Matthew Ryan, Josh Ritter, and live Talking Heads from 1983.

Cable And Tweed is fairly new on the scene, they're based in the Atlanta area and try to promote local music. They've put together a couple of creative posts this week. One of covers by Belle & Sebastian (you won't believe some of the songs they've covered); and other of eight different covers of Strawberry Fields Forever, among the covering artists are XTC, Peter Gabriel, Todd Rundgren, and Debbie Harry.

I Guess I'm Floating is one that I haven't visted too often, but one that the other blogs are referring to. I can see why. They have several great posts right now. In recognition of the anniversary of the Titanic sinking, they have put together "I Guess I'm Sinking: Songs Of Titanic Proportions" it includes some great songs, and some that will just make you laugh. Other recent posts include one on Coldplay b-sides, and a couple on Sufjan Stevens.

Chromewaves is based in Toronto, which makes it a little easier for me to relate to. In addition to the regular posts on music, there is an mp3 of the week section which posts a different cover version each week. You can look in archives to see what great stuff has been posted in the past, this week's song is a cover of The Strokes' Someday by Built To Spill.

These six barely scratch the surface on the number of blogs out there. As I mentioned they all have links to other blogs, and will refer to cool posts that they find. I will also begin to add blog addresses to my links section.

1 Comments:

At 1:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home